Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ojalá

Back at PLU, I listened to a man from Oaxaca give a lecture and I distinctly remember him poetically talking about getting to know “los rostros y los corazones de la gente;” à the faces and the hearts of the people. It gave me this new perspective of meeting and getting to know someone. When meeting new people and developing new friendships, I’m seeing their faces while getting to know their hearts and who they are deep inside. This is especially evident as I’ve ventured out on my own, moving to Ixtlán. I never expected to meet such great friends in such a short period of time especially within the last four months here in Mexico. Sometimes friendships emerge in the least likely moment and with the least likely people … or maybe it’s just perfect timing while others say it’s fate. Who knows? :)

While covering a variety of topics during our lunch-time chats, there’s one theme that has touched my heart … the talk of poverty within Latin America and the injustices done to people, many being indigenous. While I have yet to develop my thoughts and deepen my research on this topic, this theme has come up again and again since I started studying Spanish at PLU, during my study abroad trip in Oaxaca, and now with the conversations I’ve shared with new friends. I feel moved and somehow empowered to do something, yet I still don’t know what that could be.

Along with these talks, I’ve finally dived into the book “Pedagogy of the Oppressed,” which I encourage everyone to read, and I’ve been introduced to some new music that coincidentally relates as well. One of the artists is Silvio Rodriguez, a Cuban musician who started the genre of music called trova. His songs are very powerful, and I’d like to share one of his most popular songs, Ojalá (Hopefully) written in 1969. Most forums claim that the song is about the Cuban government under Fidel Castro, and others claim that Silvio Rodriguez was looking at a picture of Uncle Sam and that it's about capitalism. Both seem plausible seeing how the Cuban way of living has been greatly affected by both governments. What do you think? Ideas? Discussions? I tried my best to translate the song … but if there are any other bilingual people out there, feel free to correct me, please! :)

OJALÁ – SILVIO RODRIGUEZ

Ojalá que las hojas no te toquen el cuerpo cuando caigan
para que no las puedas convertir en cristal.
Ojalá que la lluvia deje de ser milagro que baja por tu cuerpo.
Ojalá que la luna pueda salir sin ti.
Ojalá que la tierra no te bese los pasos.

Ojalá se te acabe la mirada constante,
la palabra precisa, la sonrisa perfecta.
Ojalá pase algo que te borre de pronto:
una luz cegadora, un disparo de nieve.
Ojalá por lo menos que me lleve la muerte,
para no verte tanto, para no verte siempre
en todos los segundos, en todas las visiones:
Ojalá que no pueda tocarte ni en canciones.

Ojalá que la aurora no dé gritos que caigan en mi espalda.
Ojalá que tu nombre se le olvide a esa voz.
Ojalá las paredes no retengan tu ruido de camino cansado.
Ojalá que el deseo se vaya tras de ti,
a tu viejo gobierno de difuntos y flores.

English version:

Hopefully the leaves won't touch your body when they fall

so that you can't turn them into glass
Hopefully the rain, from being a miracle, will pass through your body
Hopefully the moon can rise without you
Hopefully the earth won't kiss your steps

Hopefully your constant stare,
your precise word, your perfect smile will be put to an end
Hopefully something happens so that you'll be erased soon
a blinding light, a shot of snow
Hopefully at least I'll be brought to my death
so that I don't have to see you that much, so that I don't have to see you ever again
in any second, in any vision
Hopefully you can't even be touched in songs

Hopefully the screams of dawn won't fall on my back
Hopefully that voice will forget your name
Hopefully the walls won't retain the sound of your tiring walk
Hopefully the desires will run after you
your old government of the deceased and flowers

1 comment:

Ariel Marceliano said...

Wooooou Michelle, ammmm te lo digo mejor en español jajaja, estoy perdiendo práctica con el ingles :( :D
Me encanta tu forma de redactar, por lo que veo eres buena escribiendo y tomando fotos.
Que linda experiencia cuentas de la gente mixe, como te dije alguna vez, me encantaria vivir ahí. Ojalá en próximas vacaciones pueda visitarte jejeje, serás mi guía eee! ;)

Por otra parte, te felicito por el acercamiento que has tenido a la obra de Paulo Freire "Pedagogía del oprimido" una obra realmente pertinente para nuestro contexto social y cultural.
Y no creo ser la persona indicada para corregir tu traducción, creo que es excelente, a mi tambien me gusta la música de Silvio Rodriguez.

Que sigas teniendo feliz estancia en Ixtlán. Cuidate mucho

Saludos desde Oaxaca capital.

Your friend Víctor ;)