Sunday, May 1, 2011

CHANGING SKIES, DIFFERENT EYES

Over a year has gone by, and I'm finally writing again. No matter where you are in life, the events you experience from day to day suddenly just become ordinary daily life ... but should we really have that kind of view?

With the realization that my daily life in Oaxaca soon wouldn't be so daily, I had the epiphany that I should, no I MUST, appreciate every minute, every second I experience here in Oaxaca. And my "adventure within an adventure" has helped me do exactly that!

I'm now living in a little town called Ixtlán in the mountains of the "Sierra Norte," a region of Oaxaca. I had applied to a university located here in Ixtlán over a year ago but received the response that there were no positions available. Then, this past January, when I stopped working at the university here in Oaxaca, I found myself panicking ... how would I have enough to pay for rent AND save for my future? Am I seriously back in this situation where I'm making exactly what I need to pay? While this goes into another story that I'll share another time, the short version is that February came around and I received an email saying that the UNSIJ, the university in Ixtlán, was looking to hire a teacher ASAP.

I took it!

I have now been living here for almost two months, and I love it. Every day I wake up to the view of the pine-filled mountains, I walk either up or down (since the town is literally set in a mountain) to get to the university, and at the end of the day, I look out at the sunset that seems to whisper a different poem each evening.

Looking out at static mountains, I'm walking beneath changing skies and living through different eyes.

And loving every minute of it!

Check out the new pictures I've posted. The views are honestly amazing. I'll be posting again soon to give you an insight on what my new daily life consists of.

Sending you all love.

No comments: