Wednesday, November 11, 2009

QUICK CHECK IN

So, just want to fill everyone in since things in my life are starting to finally pick up. I have received a job offer in Tuxtepec, Oaxaca. It's northeastish of Oaxaca, Oaxaca the city, and up and over the mountains where it takes me from the dry climate of Oaxaca to the more jungle parts of the state. I have a friend working up there, and she said on her way, she saw signs that said "Help save our jaguars!" Hmmm. (And there's tarantulas up there!) It's a full time job and really good pay for Mexico (a flat monthly pay). And I believe rent is cheaper up there. I'll be visiting for a day next week to check it out. So that's one option...

The other option is staying here in the city. I have an interview on Friday at a university here in Oaxaca but I've heard it's an hourly wage (you only get paid for the hours you work and not for the hours you plan). This would mean I'd probably work three to four hours a day which means my salary could be from half to three quarters that of the job in Tuxtepec. Plus, rent here is more expensive, although the apartment I have now is actually really cheap.

So, moving to Tuxtepec is looking like the best choice, and it also means living deeper in the Mexican culture, for Oaxaca is very touristy while in Tuxtepec, the other English teachers and I would be the only foreigners there. Also, Daniel has found a possible job opportunity in Tuxtepec as well, which would be nice so that we can stay close and not have to worry about distance.

So that's the scoop! Please be thinking of me these next couple of weeks while I start making some decisions!

Love and miss you all!

Michele

No comments: