Saturday, December 6, 2008

the month of December....

.... is absolutely flying by. Ok, it just started but I'm already feeling the pressure of things to do with only two more weeks left of the program! For the past two weeks I've been a part of two different organizations to complete my internship part of the program. The first one is called Casa Hogar which is a home for children of all ages. They live here in this home just during the school year because their families cannot afford to take care of them the way they'd like to. So they stay here so that they can go to a nearby school, have the proper clothes and food and shelter. But they still have contact with their families which is the most important part. Since I'm getting credit for my pre-physical therapy major, my role in Casa Hogar is to work with the children who have physical disabilities. There was one little boy who had been carried on the back of his mom for all four years of his life. Because of this, he can't walk and his legs as of now are permanently crossed. He actually just left for vacations with his family, but for the past two weeks I gave him massages which he was always really excited about and then just spend time with him, playing and giving him attention. Also there are two women in wheelchairs who work there, and I've constructed some exercises to do with them to help with their upper body strength. So this is where I'm at Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I am observing in this beautiful place called CRIT which is a rehabilitation place for children. There are so many resources here! There are a team of physical therapists as well as occupational therapists, psychologists, and other doctors. There's mecanical therapy, hydrotherapy, stimulation rooms for babies..... It's amazing and I'm going to be researching more about the place. I have been able to help to with different exercises and the other day I was incredibly impressed as I watched this little 5-year-old girl with perfectly braided pigtails and a little determined face practice standing and walking in her leg braces. She can't use them quite yet outside of the clinic but watching her work so hard inspired me. And although some patients were harder to work with than others, this opportunity has made me realize that I really do want to become a physical therapist.

Well, I can't talk for long today, but I will try send some more updates befoooore.... I leave! Can't believe how fast the time has flown by but yes, two more weeks and here comes the fam for Christmas and then we fly back on the 30th. I have very mixed feellings. I'm missing parts about home, but really I am absolutely in love with Mexico and I'm not ready to leave yet. I have made amazing friendships and relationships and four months just doesn't seem like enough time. But the nice thing is that there are things like email, facebook, and skype to stay in contact and I'm sure before I know it I'll be returning to Oaxaca for a visit here and there!

And I'm looking forward to seeing all of you when I get back! Or at least be able to know you're a phone call away! Hope all is well with everyone! And also that everyone had a great Thanksgiving a couple weeks back!!!

More to come....
~muchos abrazos~

1 comment:

Anne-Cecile Baer Porter said...

How wonderful that you are able to practice physical therapy in this completely different context! Have a wonderful time during your last weeks. Time DID fly so quickly!